Freehold Enfranchisement


If you are your fellow leaseholders are looking to collectively buy your freehold then we would be delighted to assist you.

Buying my freehold, collectively

Do I qualify?

What is the process of collectively buying my freehold?

The process:


Under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 qualifying leaseholders are entitled to purchase the freehold as long as there are 50% or more qualifying tenants participating in the enfranchisement claim. The original lease must be in excess of 21 years.

To discuss the process in greater detail and receive a quote, contact one of our experts.

What is a freehold?

A freehold is the complete ownership of a piece of land and all immovable structures built on it. If you buy a freehold, you are responsible for maintaining your property and land, so you will need to budget for both these costs. Most houses are freehold but some might be leasehold, usually through share-ownership schemes.

What is a participation agreement?

A participation agreement is a contract between all the leaseholders of a property participating together in the joint purchase of their freehold and it provides a legal basis for the action.

What is a section 42 notice?

A section 42 notice (also known as a tenant’s notice) is served on the landlord/ freeholder of a property and starts the purchase of the freehold or lease extension process. Once a valuation of the property has been carried out by your surveyor they will send the valuation on to your solicitor. Next, your solicitor will serve a section 42 notice on your landlord/freeholder advising the amount you are willing to pay for the freehold.

What is the first tier tribunal?

The first tier tribunal is part of the court system in the united kingdom. The first tier tribunal (property chamber) has 5 regional offices throughout england that deal with settling disputes in relation to leasehold property and the private rented sector.Tribunal hearings are quite informal, you can state your own case or have a friend or professional speak for you. The tribunal normally sits as a panel of 3 consisting of one legally trained member, one surveyor and one lay (ordinary) person to provide a balanced view. The panel have control over the court hearing and decide in which order things are dealt with.

We are Registered Panel Surveyors for:



We are hugely appreciative of the feedback we receive privately and via various widely accessible online platforms such as Google reviews and

“Used the service for straircasing of our property. Excellent service and reasonable pricing and professional staff. I would definitely recommend Copeland and Yussuf LLP.”

Elizabeth Abraham

“Used these guys to sell my shared ownership flat. Simple process, and a fair valuation I thought. I would recommend them to anyone looking for the same.”

Owen Gallagher

“We used this company for our staircasing and they were friendly, professional and very helpful when we ran into a few issues. Would recommend.”

Jake Bullit